James Kicks Off Campaign Hiding from Michiganders: No Public Campaign Events, Silence on Trump’s Divisive Rhetoric, Mass Shootings & Other Key Issues
It’s been a little more than two months since failed candidate John James launched his second effort to get to the Senate, and so far, his campaign has essentially been invisible.
- MLive reported this week that James “has yet to hold public campaign events in Michigan.”
- James “made no public comment” on the President’s racist attacks on members of Congress who are women of color and then “did not respond…to repeated attempts” from the press to get an answer in the weeks following.
- It’s been 10 days since the horrific mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton, but James has refused to make any public statements on these tragedies.
- While James has spent virtually no time at all talking to Michigan press, James has repeatedly found time for“interviews” with national right-wing outlets like Fox News.
- James was caught erasing his beliefs from social media, including his 2000% support for Trump and his support for gutting protections for people with pre-existing conditions.
So where has James been if he’s not on the campaign trail in Michigan? Rubbing elbows with Mitch McConnell, Trump’s finance team, and out-of-state GOP mega-donors. James has been busy courting big-money donors holding fundraisers in Florida, Washington, D.C., and Chicago. Instead of talking to Michigan voters, he’s chasing money all across the country.
“John James is spending his time chasing wealthy out-of-state donors while hiding from Michigan voters and Michigan reporters because he can’t defend his out-of-touch positions,” said MDP Spokesperson Alex Japko. “If James refuses to comment on important issues or even hold a public event, he shouldn’t be running for U.S. Senate.”