The Michigan GOP has introduced a package of voter suppression bills that would restrict our freedom to vote. These bills propose to:
- Require a photocopy of ID with an absentee ballot application.
- Prevent Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson from sending absentee ballot applications to voters.
- Ban clerks from providing prepaid postage for mail ballots.
- Limit the power of large Board of Canvassers by increasing the size to 6 or 8 canvassers and requiring only 2 or 3 members from the same party to block action, threatening the ability to certify elections in the future.
- If you live and vote in Michigan, we need you to tell your legislators and leaders to vote NO on these bills.
Find your State Senator here.
- Ask your U.S. House Representative to prioritize the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act.
Find your U.S. House Representative here.
- Thank your U.S Senator for supporting the For the People Act, S1, which recently passed the House.
Sen. Gary Peters: (202) 224-6221
Sen. Debbie Stabenow: (202) 224-4822
Sample phone call script:
As a voter in your district, I strongly oppose more restrictions on voting. There is no reason for this. I am asking you to vote no on the GOP voter suppression bills.
Sample email script:
Dear [Legislator], [Full Name]
As a Michigan voter, I hope we can count on you by ensuring that our voices are heard. Our democracy works best when all eligible voters can participate and have their voices heard. In 2018, 67% of Michiganders voted for sweeping changes to Michigan’s voter laws including same-day voter registration and no-excuse absentee voting. Please don’t overturn the will of the people. The proposed legislation would suppress voter turnout and disenfranchise thousands of Michigan voters. I strongly urge you to oppose all Jim Crow voter suppression attempts and vote no on all of the Republican voter suppression bills. Our goal should be the protection of the fundamental right to vote for all citizens by assuring that voting is as easy and as convenient as possible.
[Your Full Name]
Facebook & Instagram Graphics – click to download
Twitter Graphics – click to download
Facebook & Instagram Graphics from the Secretary of State’s Office