JOIN THE TEAM
The Michigan Democratic Party is seeking an intern to assist with training and party affairs.
Duties will include working with local unit and caucus MDP chairs, assisting in the development and implementation of a statewide activist and volunteer training program, maintenance of voting procedures, assisting in the development of resources for local leaders, creating convention materials, and supporting party units in their organizing efforts.
Qualified interns will be able to work well with people, prioritize to meet deadlines, possess excellent phone and computer skills, be confident, flexible, creative, organized, and reliable.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two references to Director of Party Affairs, Hayley Alderman, at [email protected].
The Michigan Democratic Party is hiring for a full-time Press Secretary/Writer responsible for aggressively pushing the party’s key messages through written communications and traditional media outlets to support Democratic policy priorities and hold Michigan Republicans accountable. The focus of this position is on the Michigan House and Senate. This position will report to the MDP Communications Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Track the MI Legislature – including committee hearings and session in order to write statements and/or press releases to support Democratic lawmakers and hold Republicans accountable.
- Write a minimum of 2 op-eds a month, working with MDP leadership staff and partners to determine appropriate authors
- Develop creative storytelling ideas to support Democrats and hold bad actors accountable using traditional media outlets
- Work closely with the digital team to ensure our statements, press releases, and opinion pieces are shared across social media platforms and include graphics if necessary
- Develop and maintain relationships with key members of the media – both state & national outlets
- Assist Communications Director in managing media requests and pitches
- Work with the Communications Director to plan and execute earned media events in key media markets across Michigan, including press conferences, rallies, and roundtables.
- Work in partnership with the Communications Director to build the capacity of local parties and clubs to be able to engage in proactive and reactive communications in their local media outlets
- A bachelor’s degree is required in public relations, marketing, journalism, English, creative writing, public policy, or a closely related field.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Understanding of Michigan’s political landscape
- Experience with social media is preferred
- At least one election cycle worth of experience working in political communications.
- Work is generally in an office setting; however, some travel may be required.
- The applicant must be willing to work in a fast-paced campaign environment. Periodically long work hours are required.
Please note that the MDP is currently operating 100% virtual/work-from-home
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Michigan Democratic Party is committed to diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The Michigan Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer, and it is the MDP’s policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.
How to Apply
Please submit a resumé, brief cover letter, three writing samples from previous communications campaigns, and three references to [email protected].