Michigan Dems slam the WSJ’s racist, dangerous article about our neighbors in Dearborn
LANSING — In case you missed it, this weekend, Democrats from President Biden to members of the Michigan State Legislature spoke out to strongly condemn an opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal that spread dangerous and appalling language about our fellow Michiganders in Dearborn. This abhorrent rhetoric puts lives in danger, and Michigan Democrats across the board have stood with our Muslim and Arab neighbors against these vile accusations.
See just a sample of coverage from some of our Democrats standing up against this hateful bigotry. Democrats have made it clear this ugly hatred and racism from Murdoch’s Wall Street Journal has no place in Michigan:
Detroit Free Press: ‘We must…condemn hate in all forms’: Biden says of Wall Street Journal’s Dearborn piece
- President Joe Biden and other political leaders came to the defense of Dearborn on Sunday, two days after the Wall Street Journal published an opinion piece labeling Dearborn as the “America’s Jihad Capital…”
- Hammoud listed Dearborn’s accomplishments, saying it is the fastest growing city in Michigan, the No. 1 travel destination in UI, the home of Ford Motor Co., the coffee, food and culture capital of Michigan and one of the most diverse cities in Michigan…
Detroit News: Biden condemns ‘anti-Arab hate’ after WSJ piece calls Dearborn ‘America’s Jihad Capital’
- “This is more than irresponsible journalism,” Hammoud said in the statement. “Publishing such inflammatory writing puts Dearborn residents at increased risk for harm.”
- Michigan politicians quickly condemned the WSJ piece, including the governor and U.S. Sens. Gary Peters, D-Bloomfield Township, and Debbie Stabenow, D-Lansing, who said the column is “outrageous, dangerous and just plain wrong!”
Detroit Free Press: Whitmer blasts ‘cruel and ignorant’ WSJ column on Dearborn
- Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Monday decried a recent opinion piece published in the Wall Street Journal, saying the piece’s characterization of Dearborn was a “total misrepresentation of an important city…”
- “I thought that that opinion article was incredibly cruel and ignorant, and a total misrepresentation of an important city full of a lot of beautiful people who are Michiganders, and are our neighbors and our extended family,” Whitmer said.
Michigan Advance: Biden, Whitmer join in condemnation of Wall Street Journal column on Dearborn
- Reaction to a Wall Street Journal opinion piece about Dearborn intensified through the weekend, as President Joe Biden and Gov. Gretchen Whitmer joined the chorus of condemnation…
- “It’s 2024 and the @WSJ still pushes out this type of garbage. Reckless. Bigoted. Islamophobic,” said Hammoud, who called Dearborn “one of the greatest American cities in our nation,” noting that not only was it the home of the Ford Motor Co., but the fastest-growing city in Michigan, as well as among the most diverse…
Here is what our Democratic leaders said on social media about this dangerous rhetoric: