In case you missed it, Sterling Heights Mayor Michael Taylor endorsed U.S. Senator Gary Peters in his reelection campaign. Taylor, a lifelong Republican, had endorsed Republican challenger John James in 2018 when he ran against Debbie Stabenow.
- Michael Taylor, the GOP mayor of Sterling Heights, announced Friday he is endorsing U.S. Sen. Gary Peters (D-Bloomfield Twp.) for reelection. Taylor said Peters has a track record of working across the aisle to get things done for Michigan.
- “In 2018, I endorsed John James and supported his run for U.S. Senate, but today the choice is clear, I am endorsing Sen. Peters for reelection,” said Taylor. “Gary has delivered for Sterling Heights. He was pivotal, working in a bipartisan manner, to secure the money we needed to rebuild Mound Road, he supported our firefighters and first responders with his advocacy for our SAFER grant to improve service to our residents, and he has been a fierce advocate for our small businesses, suppliers, auto manufacturers, and our aerospace and defense industry. Macomb County and Sterling Heights lead the way in all of these sectors, and Senator Peters understands that and understands us.”
- Peters said he’s been “proud” to work with Taylor to “strengthen economic opportunities and support Macomb County’s automotive, aerospace and defense manufacturers. Now more than ever, Michigan families want leaders who can work together and get things done for them. It’s an honor to have Mayor Taylor’s support as we continue to deliver bipartisan solutions that put Michigan first.”
Gongwer: Campaign Notes
- GOP MAYOR ENDORSES PETERS: Republican Mayor Michael Taylor on Friday endorsed U.S. Sen. Gary Peters (D-Bloomfield Township) for reelection over Republican challenger John James.
- Mr. Taylor, who endorsed Mr. James during his 2018 run for U.S. Senate, praised Mr. Peters in a statement saying the senator was key in securing federal funding for a major area road project and first responder grants. He said Mr. Peters also has been a strong advocate for businesses in the city and Macomb County.
- Sterling Heights Mayor Michael TAYLOR announced today he is supporting U.S. Sen. Gary PETERS’ (D-Bloomfield Twp.) re-election bid two years after he supported John JAMES for U.S. Senate against U.S. Debbie STABENOW.
- Today, Taylor said, “Gary has delivered for Sterling Heights. He was pivotal, working in a bipartisan manner, to secure the money we needed to rebuild Mound Road. He supported our firefighters and first responders with his advocacy for our SAFER Grant to improve service to our residents . . . Senator Peters understands that and understands us.”